Podunk Pelline: Boy toy for Hilary Hodge’s campaign?

Now that local lefty Hilary Hodge has entered the race to unseat local righty Dan Miller in the 3rd Supervisorial district, expect the campaign to get down and dirty, even nasty at times.

Podunk Pelline Boy toy?

I’m referring, of course, to campaign coverage by self-proclaimed seasoned journalist Jeff “Podunk” Pelline, who is still smarting from Miller’s defeat of Podunk fav Terry Lamphier in the 2014 contest for the same seat.

Podunk was particularly incensed when local construction big wig Keoni Allen hoisted a banner proclaiming “Miller Time” on a building he owns on Main Street in Grass Valley. The  building also houses the office of the Grass Valley Chamber of Commerce, and Pelline demanded chamber officials force Allen to remove the banner. The banner stayed put.

What did this have to do with the issues residents considered when deciding who to vote for? Nothing, of course. It was just Pelline’s way of trying to torpedo Miller’s campaign. It didn’t work as Dandy Dan won handily.

Hodge became Podunk’s favorite columnist in The Union after she started writing for paper, lunching with her at least once and defending her against the slings and arrows tossed her way by local conservatives. (Conservatives seemed to be particularly annoyed that she used her column to keep reminding people she’s a lesbian.)

Podunk’s been convinced for several weeks that Hodge was going to run for supervisor (seasoned journalists “know” these things) and I’m sure it was just a coincidence that he was one of the first to get her announcement. He yearns to see Hodge join Heidi Hall and alleged liberal Richard Anderson on the Board of Supervisors to create a new progressive majority.

He has predicted an “ugly, polarizing” race for Miller’s seat, just like four years ago (“here we go again”). Now that we know where Pelline stands, we’ll see how much of this Miller has to absorb.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Hilary Hodge, Jeff Pelline, Nevada County Board of Supervisors, Supervisor Dan Miller, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Podunk Pelline: Boy toy for Hilary Hodge’s campaign?

1. Todd Juvinall says:

I saw that. And I tried the link on podunk’s story and it needs a password to see her site. The only mudslinger in town is Pelline. The campaign will be run well by Miller and he will be hard to beat as ong as he works hard and does not take anything for granted. Mny said John Spencer failed to take TL seriously and we saw what happened.

When I ran I had liberals going door to door all over the district doing a whisper campaign on me. OMG! He was on his thrd wife! As well as telling people along Highway 174 I supported Caltrans safety project as I would getting work from it. And many more. They all failed. I won twice.

2. jeffpelline says:

With this post, you already showed how ugly the race is going to be.

3. Don Bessee says:

The Dark Lord of liberal lament land is just mad the Union scooped him on the anti-climactic Hodge confirmation of what was already common knowledge. 😉

4. fish says:

….she used her column to keep reminding people she’s a lesbian.

Wha…….a lesbian……shocking?!?!? What office does this person think she’s qualified to run for…..Sheriff?

JK

Hey jeffy……I think you’ll find that the less you “help” Ms. Hodge the better she’ll do….just saying!

5. Barry Pruett says:

I doubt that the actual campaign will be negative at all. Pelline of course will attempt to frame it as negative…that’s his modis operandi. As far as Dan Miller’s opponent, I did not read any depth in the press release. I suspect the depth will come later but for now she is running without a platform. We’ll see what happens. Dan Miller is a local family man, long time public servant, and very well-respected. I don’t see anyone giving a serious challenge.

6. Todd Juvinall says:

Pelline disses all the locals and thinks that will help her? Amazing.

7. Pelline fav Annie Fox seems to think I’m going to try to suppress votes for Hodge. Either she has reading comprehension problems or she views criticism of Pelline as an attack on Hodge. Why would she think that? Jeffie’s bias must be showing.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Annie is a Pelline sock puppet that is why.

• fish says:

Actually I think Annie turned out to be real……but I think she’s from the hated 90+ demographic that jeffy wants to send to the glue factory in order to make room for more hip, vibrant, young skater dudes like himself!

Cowabunga dude!

8. Actually, I think Annie Fox is a play on stripper Fanne Foxe, the Argentine bomb shell who got Congressman Wilbur Mills involved in a sex scandal.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Me too. Now Judith Lowry is trashing you. Another Pelline favorite gal. And a self proclaimed Indian.

• fish says:

Well as they are both menopausal women I imagine that they have much to talk about!

9. fish says:

Oh bother……local man in lather over free speech!

10. fish says:

Hillary Hodge is unfazed by these clowns…..

The post is about you jefe….Hillary is just a footnote.

Surprised a seasoned journalist couldn’t puzzle that out.

• The drama queen has already concluded “this race is going to be ugly. It could be a local version of Donald Trump v. Hillary Clinton.”

I think not. Miller has way more class than Trump (admittedly, a low bar to jump) and I expect Hilary H. to speak passionately about the causes she thinks are important instead of just reading bullet points.

Jeffy’s problem is that he has no sense of humor. Maybe CRISPR can solve the problem.

11. Todd Juvinall says:

Pelline really is a sourpuss. He writes things to stir people up. Just like his pals at DailyKos and “The NAtion”.

12. fish says:

jeffpelline says:

August 3, 2017 at 8:00 pm
    George Boardman has never been too bright. It’s reflected in his minor-league journalistic and “PR man” resume, along with his penchant for error after error (and correction after correction).

When I write this is going to be an ugly campaign, he assumes that it is the candidates who will be ugly. No, dumbling, it’s some of their ardent supporters. And it’s already happening. And we have yet to hear from community gems like “Bradley Jackson.” lol.

I agree completely….. George will never have your coffee retrieval/delivery skills! But I’m forced to ask….must you constantly lord your greatness over the rest of us? We mere mortals who don’t have an uncle who actually helped Sam Shepard….and on a for realz project no less?! We who don’t rub elbows with the likes of the Clerk Recorder or who actually knows a would-be county supervisor! We who won’t be attending the next reading of “The Vagina Monologues” with the “beautiful people” of Nevada City?

Don’t hate us jeffy….pity us!

….and as always lol!

• Pelline is oblivious to the obvious: Candidates set the tone of a campaign and define the parameters of what is acceptable behavior by their supporters.

Fish, you forgot to mention Jeffy has the sheriff on speed dial.

13. What a doofus! Pelline writes about the retirement of science writer David Perlman without mentioning a joke that’s been around for decades: “Perlman has been around so long he covered the Big Bang”. Like I said, Jeffy has no sense of humor.

By the way, which one of those three people standing in the picture is Perlman? I know, but I’ll bet a lot of other people don’t. So much for big time journalism!

14. Barry Pruett says:

14 things secure people never do…Jeff Pelline’s got a majority of these down pat. Lol.

• fish says:

Wow! 12 out of 14 as I score it!

Of course it’s not from a “Dr. Phil Approved Source” so we should probably just dismiss it!

15. Barry Pruett says:

Most popular words on Pelline’s blog? “I” and “me”
    Lol. I rest my case…

16. fish says:

An error in the banner headline…..

Bee covers debate over cell phone transmitter bill: “A Pandora box,” says Senum

Of course it might have just been a box made by “Pandora”. Anyway….drop by jeffy’s and see this mistake in the wild!

17. Why am I not surprised that Podunk Pelline is claiming that an article he posted on his blog last Thursday was the inspiration for the column I wrote for today’s edition of The Union? Because if it wasn’t for cheap shots, Pelline would have no shot at all.

I take two hours every Wednesday afternoon to research and write my column. I spend another 20 to 30 minutes Friday morning assembling observations and sanding down the rough spots before I send my column to The Union. The article Pelline posted Thursday just confirmed that I was on to something.

18. Now Podunk’s mixing material I wrote for this blog with what I write for The Union to make his point. You don’t suppose he’s doing it on purpose? lol.

19. fish says:

From Hypocrisy Central…..

Well isn’t that special? Just hit the delete key (a few weeks later) and hope no-one noticed.

Yeah George……I think that that is proprietary…..jeffy bought the rights to the Memory Hole™ method from Orwells estate quite a while back!

20. Bill Tozer says:

“Hillary Hodge is unfazed by these clowns…..”

Well, if you are going to throw your weight behind Ms. Hodge, the least you could do is spell Hiliary correctly.

21. Note to Podunk Pete: If you’re not going to use your real name, I’m not going to publish your comments.

• fish says:

Joe,

George Boardman refuses to publish your comment on his blog without a “real name.” Of course, he regularly publishes comments from “fish” on his blog. Go figure! An insecure man, to be sure.

A posting requirement at your catbox as well jeffy!

One might ask why Joe Kebble is so privileged to post as “Joe Koyote” over there?

22. Now how would Pelline know Podunk Pete is actually Joe Koyote, who’s actually somebody else, according to Greg Goodknight? Thanks to Sherlock Pelline, we know that “fish” is actually David Larsen. And unlike Koyote (or whoever he is), fish is funny.

The real reason I killed Podunk Pete’s comment is because it took a nasty indirect shot at none other than Podunk Pelline. LOL, as the say.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Careful Podunk Pelline will check out your property taxes and how many wives you have. LOL!

23. jeffpelline says:

Ha! Deadbeat taxpayers has been a theme on these blogs. LOL!

• fish says:

It’s been a theme on your blog. Did you ever get around to busting the “Little Sisters of Mercy” (I think that this was their name) for the delinquent taxes on their parcels?

You’re truly doing the lords work jeffy.

24. jeffpelline says:

Why isn’t “fish” required to identify himself like the other commentators here?

25. Ken Jones says:

George your blog is beginning to mimic the circle jerk that is Rebane’s Ruminations.
    You even have the same commenters who either refuse to identify whi they are, or are proud of how obnoxious they can be on the blogs. Of course leading the way is Todd the disgrace of Nevada County. And using Goodnight as a reference? No hatred or bias there. Way to wallow in the mud George.

• What can I say? They are apparently the only people around here who have the time to comment on blogs.

As for using Goodknight as a “reference”: I merely cited what he’s been saying for a couple of years. That doesn’t mean I endorse what he said. People can make up their own minds.

• Ken Jones says:

Fair enough George.

26. Todd Juvinall says:

Oh my Ken Jones, local nasty man trailing us all over the place. What a hoot!

• Todd Juvinall says:

And he lives in Oxnard! LOL!

• Ken Jones says:

Todd trailing you? No Todd you live on the blogs and the Union.Basically you have no life,. Yes I live in Oxnard but still own my home in Grass Valley. 5 minute walk to the beach.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Oh Ken Jones, I have a great life. Many blessings. You are a stalker and I think that might show others you are the one without a meaningful life. Why would you follow such a nobody like me anyway? And I hope you aren’t voting in two places.

• Ken Jones says:

Todd are you accusing me of crimes? Are you really that stupid? Never mind, I already know the answer.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Oh Kenny, let it go.

• This is the last comment involving you guys I’m going to post. Take your argument elsewhere.

27. rl crabb says:

Sooo…Lemme get this straight…Pelline publishes the white trash link and then disavows it. He disses George B. for remarking that Wildwood’s sewage problem might be a detriment to home sales but occasionally refers to Penn Valley as “Pentucky.” Every other day he calls the newspaper and the people who work there “podunk.” Well, we’re not too cosmopolitan for sure, and we could raise the county’s IQ about 30 points if Todd moved to Idaho, but I still think we have a pretty nice little community here, despite Jeffy and Toddy.

• Todd Juvinall says:

I actually offset upwards your diminution of the collective IQ Crabby. If anyone should move to help the public see we are better than a “Septic Tanks” mantra you push we will all benefit. So if you need some help packing up and leaving we can set up a GoFundMe for you.

• fish says:

jeffpelline says:

August 28, 2017 at 10:41 am

When R.L. Crabb purports to speak for our towns — using the proverbial “we” — does he know that most people don’t read The Union and have never heard of him? Small towns are a hoot!

jeffy….bad news dude….nobody has ever heard of you either.

And instead of constantly trying to remake Nevada City in your own snobby pretentious image why not just move back to the Bay Area and wallow in an existing much larger pool of quaint? Real Tiburon instead of a mythological “Tiburon in the Timbers”.

• That’s just Jeffie strutting while seated.

• rl crabb says:

Well, at least Jeffy hasn’t linked me to ISIS.

28. rl crabb says:

I guess Jeffy doesn’t frequent the same towns I do. Everywhere I go people come up to me and compliment my comics. He’s still in a snit about losing his job at the paper. How many years has it been?

• Jeffie’s problem is that he’s gone from a position where he could tell advertisers to kiss his ass if they didn’t like a story to a much darker place where he has to kiss the ass of advertisers so they’ll buy space in his “magazine.” That’s a big fall for such a big ego.

• fish says:

jeffpelline says:

August 28, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Rebane and Boardman have embraced the comments from “fish,” since signed comments on their blogs are becoming more scarce. This moron has a real chip on his shoulder about S.F. Of course, consider the source: (….something, something about a letter I sent to a former colleague of his after Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg).

He couldn’t afford a shack in S.F. roflol.

Big fan of S.F. jeffy….awfully disappointed how dirty it has become though! You might want to download the iPhone app that lets you chart the poops left on the sidewalks and in the alleys by SF’s urban campers…..avoid any unpleasant movements during one of your epic walking tours of the city.

Oh wait….never mind!

You are correct though I certainly cannot afford a “shack” in the city…..even if I could I’m still in sufficient possession of my faculties to not do so! Thanks though for confirming that you are indeed the snob that I knew you were!

• If Jeffie wants to move back to the big city, we have a loft in the trendy South-of-Market area that we’d be willing to sell for an unreasonable price.